Sunday, May 6, 2007

Triathlon Adventures

Did the Napa Valley Sprint Triathlon today ... 1/2 mile swim (875 yds), 15 mile bike, 4 mile run. This is a little longer than I usually do and I was ready for it to be done.

I'm a little skeptical of the swim distance since I went off course a bit (turned the triangular swim into somewhat of a "V" - Oops!) ... and still managed to average 1:27 per 100 yds. That would mean that I shaved 5-7 seconds from each 100 compared to my pool times. The numbness could have helped ... BEJEESUS, it was cold! I felt like I was swimming really fast, but couldn't feel a damn thing. I was beet red when I came out of the water and that was no 8 am sunburn! I did the swim in 12:46.

The balls of my feet are really sore from running on rock splattered asphalt for a good 100 yds (?) to my bike. The bike and run were both out and back with some pretty bad head wind and considerably more uphill on the way out. I only averaged 14 mph on the 1st 1/2 of the bike, then was able to bring it up to 16 by going 20-30 on the way back - thank you tail wind and downhills! Same with my run. I went out in 19.5 mintues and back in 18. My total bike time for 15 miles was 55:50 and total run time for 4 miles was 37:30 (9:22 mile pace) - not bad with the hills.

I ended up 14th overall - out of 66 - in my age group (still 25-29 ... for the last time unless I race before August) and 43rd over all females out of 292 (138th including men out of 790 total). My next planned race is "See Jane Tri", Sept 29th ... 500 yd swim, 11 mile bike, 5k run. I'll see what those 30-somethings have got ... bring it!


Reagan and Cam were great spectators and fans ... awaiting Mommy's grand entrance for her grand finish ... I outsprinted a guy and girl! and realized I saved too much energy ... oops.


My friend Kate also did this race with a gnarly knot on her foot, a head cold, and a double earrache... go Kate! She did well too (27th in age group) and here we are before the race.

No comments:

Post a Comment